What to Expect
Here at Coastal Countertops and Tile we understand how exciting, yet stressful, home renovations can be. We are committed to fulfilling your expectations and we promise that we will take the time to walk through each step of the process.
Initial Design Meeting
While some customers know exactly what material they would like to use, most of our customers prefer to come by and meet with one of our designers. While you are encouraged to make an appointment, we can always make time for a quick meeting. During this time, we can also discuss edge choices, sink options, backsplashes and anything else you may have a question about. Please bring in some rough measurements or a layout for your countertop projects. After making some selections, we can produce a rough estimate for you.
Moving forward, we will then arrange for one of our staff members to come to your home and take the final measurements. After that, we will schedule another meeting with you to go over templating. This will ensure we do our best to place colors and movement of the stone in the locations where you prefer. Keep in mind that cabinets and any other mounts must be completed and secure before we can begin installation.
We will then begin cutting the material in our onsite fabrication facility and installation will begin within days. Installation is typically done in one day.
Before we arrive to measure for your template, please carefully read over the following checklist as each section applies to your job.
- New cabinets are permanently set and secured to the wall and/or floor.
- Free standing cabinets are permanently set.
- Cabinets are level and structurally sound. Coastal Countertops & Tile cannot adjust cabinets.
- Any end panels or bead board must be attached and ALL cabinetry work complete.
- All cabinets completely cleared off.
- If your kitchen will have a raised bar, the knee wall has been built.
YOUR CABINETS CANNOT BE MOVED, ADJUSTED, OR PULLED OFF OF THE WALL AFTER YOUR TEMPLATE. ADDITIONAL CABINETS ADDED AFTER YOUR TEMPLATE WILL RESULT IN A $100 TRIP CHARGE AND A NEW INSTALLATION DATE FOR THE ENTIRE PROJECT.
- If your countertops (mainly island or raised bar) will have an overhang, radius, specific curvature, bump outs, castle corners, farmhouse sink reveal, etc.: this needs to be determined at the template by the customer and/or builder.
- If your countertops will have an overhang, support will be needed. Coastal Countertops & Tile uses steel flat brackets. If you want decorative support such as corbels, a cabinet installer needs to install these before the template. Any support not installed by Coastal Countertops & Tile must be level.
- Customer supplied sinks MUST be at the house IN the correct room and labeled according to each room.
- Prior to ordering your customer supplied sink: the customer and/or builder needs to measure the sink cabinet to ensure your sink’s dimensions will fit within the cabinet properly. Please keep in mind this includes enough space for sink clips, faucet holes, thickness of cabinet, and backsplash.
- Farmhouse sink or apron front sinks MUST be set prior to your template.
- Coastal Countertops & Tile needs to be made aware of any cast iron sinks.
- If your customer supplied sink can be installed as an undermount or drop in, please specify which you prefer prior to template.
- Customer supplied vessel sinks: Coastal Countertops & Tile needs to be aware of vessel sinks, indicating if it is semi-recessed or sits directly on countertop.
- All faucet spreads (single hole, 4”, or 8”) and placement information will need to be determined before your fabrication begins.
- If holes need to be drilled for a reverse osmosis (R/O), soap dispenser, or garbage disposal button, their location will need to be known before template.
- Appliances need to be in place for the template. This includes a microwave, slide-in stove, free standing stove, refrigerator, etc.
- Your dishwasher needs to be in place for the template.
- If you are using a cooktop this will need to be in the kitchen for the template.
- If a full height backsplash of the same material as the countertop will be installed, hoods and/or microwaves need to be installed.
- Our installers will need electricity on the day of installation for the use of their tools and equipment.
- All electrical work including moving or adding outlets needs to be complete before template.
Thickness of Old Countertops Versus New Countertops
- All countertops will vary in thickness. Typically granite, quartz, or marble will be less thick than laminate, formica, or cultured marble. Your new countertops will be installed directly on top of your cabinets (plywood is not necessary). Sheetrock, paint, and touch ups may be required.
- If you have an existing tile backsplash you wish to keep: please keep in mind the thickness difference between your old and new countertops. There is a possibility of gapping and/or breakage of your existing tile. Coastal Countertops & Tile is not responsible for replacing tile or any sheetrock, patchwork, or touch ups that may be required.
Access to House
- If homeowner or contractor will not be present for template: house will be unlocked, key hidden, lock box or garage code provided.
- If home is in a gated community: we have gate code or permission to enter.
- Clear pathway to rooms being templated.
- Stairs (if applicable) are in place and structurally safe (inside and outside).
Interior of Home
- If home is under construction, workers are out of rooms to be templated.
- If painting is to be done to cabinets, paint must be dry.
- If painting is to be done in any rooms to be templated, paint must be dry.
- All sheetrock, knee walls, and demo to be complete.
- All trim work needs to be complete.
- Laying, refinishing, or tiling of floors needs to be complete and able to walk on.
- All mirrors that meet or touch a backsplash or countertop will need to be removed.
Exterior of Home
- All concrete work (driveway, walkway, pavers, etc.) needs to be completed prior or after installation.
- If your home is elevated and installation is on 2nd floor or higher the use of a crane or lull will be needed. Any obstacles will need to be moved to allow for a clear pathway for the crane or lull. This includes railings, trailers, vehicles, equipment, etc.
- If tile will be added to a fireplace surround, hearth, knee wall, shower bench, tub surround (anything your countertop material will touch/butt up to) Coastal Countertops & Tile needs to be made aware. This affects your overhang, fabrication, and installation.
- If cabinets will be touching a knee wall to be tiled (mainly in bathroom), tile cannot be installed until after countertop installation.
- If you have existing granite or quartz countertops, it is the customer’s responsibility to have these removed prior to template unless otherwise discussed with Coastal Countertops & Tile. Coastal Countertops & Tile will not be responsible for the disposal of any granite, quartz, or marble countertops removed by the customer.
- If you have a tile countertop this must be removed and cabinetry level before your template.
FAILURE TO HAVE THE ITEMS STATED ABOVE COMPLETE BEFORE YOUR TEMPLATE DATE WILL RESULT IN RESCHEDULING YOUR TEMPLATE AND INSTALL DATE AS WELL AS A $100 TRIP CHARGE SHOULD WE NEED TO RETURN TO YOUR HOME.